that's our james

Disclaimer: This is my blog. No one else's. This is what I think about stuff. If others think the same thing, it's up to them to express it. The sole purpose of my writings is to keep my friends and family informed. My opinions are just that, opinions so don't get to worked up if something offends you. Thanks.

07 April 2006

the basics

So I have no idea where to start. How do I explain my experiences thus far in a totally different culture? Let’s start with the basics.
Food? Check. I get plenty of it. Plus since I am living with a family, I don’t even have to cook it. The produce is really good. My host mother makes this really good soup out of stewed tomatoes and peppers or something like that. All I know is that it’s tasty.
Water? Check. Now I’m definitely not drinking as much as I was before I left but that might be a good thing. My bladder probably appreciates its lightened work load. I used to drink water like it was going out of style and apparently, in Albania, it has gone out of style. Part of the decreased water consumption is my schedule and the lack of water fountains. It is available just I have to make a point of drinking it. The water is clean so that’s a plus. The Peace Corps supplied us with a water filter and I have used it once. The only reason I used it was because I think I am drinking my host family out of house and home. The other night they asked if I wanted Sprite or Coke (ok, maybe it’s not a totally different culture). When I replied that I wanted water, the daughter asked why, as if no one in their right mind would ever chose water. What can I say, we Americans are good at drinking water.
Shelter? Mos def (most definitely for you non-abbreviation fiends) check. My room here is nicer than in the States. The house is nicely furnished with high ceilings in all the rooms. The yard is gorgeous. Purple flowers line the walk from the gate to the steps of the house with a variety of citrus trees scattered throughout the rest of the yard. Oh and the necessities are covered nicely too. The bathroom has a western toilet and plumbing that can handle toilet paper (apparently not all plumbing can, who knew), a bathtub, a shower, and plenty of hot water and water pressure.

Mirupafshim, good bye if you hadn’t guessed. I know some other words too after studying the language for two weeks. Une jam shume zgjuar ( I am very clever) :)

1 Comments:

At 8:56 AM, Blogger james said...

Gezohem Diane.
I live two blocks behind Juliet and see her everyday.

all the cool people are in comm. devel. :)

we are heading out this morning to go visit various current volunteers.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home