that's our james

Disclaimer: This is my blog. No one else's. This is what I think about stuff. If others think the same thing, it's up to them to express it. The sole purpose of my writings is to keep my friends and family informed. My opinions are just that, opinions so don't get to worked up if something offends you. Thanks.

17 April 2006

and the beat goes on...

now what was i saying?
Oh yeah, my visit to small town Shqiperi (Albania). I had to abandon my previous post because I got a call that the bus was waiting for us. Let the journey begin.

I am in Krutje, a small town near Fier if you want to find it on the map or if you are familiar with Albanian geography.

I am visiting Mat, a current volunteer. He runs a telecommunications co-op, which is convenient because I have private access to the only internet connection in the area. Score!

Krutje is nice. The people are really friendly. We visited an Orthodox church built in the 1300's. The interior still had most of the original frescoes. Again, Score! There's not too much to do here but there are two different places with ping-pong tables, and they're in better shape than Nick's luckily. What else would I need? In fact, we're suppose to go play some ping-pong after this. Good thing I stepped up my game. And I was worried that they wouldn't have ping pong at all. Did I mention that I am the undefeated champ in my training town of Peqin (Pay-cheen)? And loser pays so I'm loving it.

As far as PC stuff goes, the language is progressing. We learned how to do plurals of definite and indefinite nouns in the nomative case. Did you follow that? No? Me either :) Basically, in Albanian, a noun can have six different endings. Yeah, good times. Oh and we still haven't learned past tense. Jealous? I've decided to create my own country and in my language, I will have gender-nuetral words and verbs that don't need to be conjugated. I will keep the whole the noun comes before the adjective thing cuz that makes sense.
Next week, I think we learn where our permanent sites will be. I'm a little nervous. I REALLY don't want to be in the north. I like it hot. There's a rumor that they are trying to place more of us in the north and rural areas. I know I said I'd go anywhere but I meant anywhere that had good internet and cafes and a cinema. Oh and I need to be within an hour of the beach. Is that too much too ask???

I had first experience with traveling in Alb. the road was narrow and decently paved. still it took over three hours to go what was prolly 75 miles. and the kicker? we were traveling on main roads. OMG.

all right, ping pong is calling my name.

holla
james

2 Comments:

At 9:31 PM, Blogger Mona said...

YEEEEAH! Ping pong rocks the house....that's awesome that you're able to play. Oh, and of course the original frescoes, visiting a town in a new country and learning a new language is interesting, too. But PING PONG is pretty darn cool, so I had to give it props first.

 
At 7:55 PM, Blogger lydia said...

JAMES. You are not updating your blog enough to my satisfaction. And really, it's all about what I want. What? You're doing important things in a country far, far away? Posh. That's no excuse for neglecting to write it down on the Internet.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home