that's our james

Disclaimer: This is my blog. No one else's. This is what I think about stuff. If others think the same thing, it's up to them to express it. The sole purpose of my writings is to keep my friends and family informed. My opinions are just that, opinions so don't get to worked up if something offends you. Thanks.

04 May 2006

Walk much…

Was anybody else aware of the fact that I am a big klutz? Or that apparently I can’t walk down the side of steep hill without falling twice? I wish I would have known this before attempting such daring feats. Don’t worry (yes, I know that my mom is the only one that is worried at this point), I’m fine. I really just slipped and sat down and slid down the hill a few feet. Sadly that wasn’t my first encounter with clumsiness. Off hand I can think of 4 minor incidents. That’s about one a week. Impressive.
The first mishap came at the end of my first week with my host family. We were playing Ultimate Frisbee in the town soccer field and I made a diving catch. The only problem was that I softened my fall with my elbow. Yeah, I know I’m good. I skinned it pretty badly but that was all. I wasn’t too concerned. Oh and can anyone tell me why it would be a good thing to put cigarette tobacco on a “wound” like that? Just wondering because that’s what my host uncle promptly did when he saw my wound. I didn’t know what he was doing. He just grabbed my arm and lifted back and proceeded to take the tobacco and press it onto the owie. Now this being my first week, I had no language ability so I didn’t protest. It didn’t hurt so I left it on till I got home. Now to my untrained eye, I don’t think it did much good. Oh well, at least it didn’t make it worse. They have a lot of old wives tales or is it old wise tales “remedies.” Here’s another good part of this incident. I tried to hide it from my host mother when I got home and I was successful, at least until my host uncle came by and mentioned it at which time I had to show her. I swear, it’s like I’m a kid again. I’m loving it. The moral of the story? Tobacco may kill but it does wonders for skinned elbows.
Two weeks ago I had another incident while playing Ultimate Frisbee. This time it wasn’t a diving catch that did me in. No way. We were playing on asphalt area in front of a school. I wasn’t going to be stupid enough to go for any crazy plays. I was, however, stupid enough to go for a huge jump catch while being heavily guarded. The jump part went fine. The landing part? Not so much. I came down kinda on my right side. I managed to lightly skin my calf, my side/lower back, get gravel down in my underwear, and cut my hand on a piece of glass. Oh did I mention that the schoolyard had a nice mix of gravel and broken glass and other pieces of trash in certain areas? Well that’s where I chose to attempt my mad jump. Of course, I’m fine but man am I getting clumsy. Oh well, at least I am having fun doing it.
I was going to try to get caught up on all the details but I am too exhausted. The side track into pointless story land wasn’t supposed to take so long. The funny thing is that it’s only 11:30. I don’t have any class or meetings tomorrow so I was going to be crazy and stay up late. Woohoo. I’m so cragee. That’s crazy to everyone else.
And on that note I say goodnight.

2 Comments:

At 2:17 PM, Blogger Mona said...

Now you know how I feel. :)

 
At 9:23 AM, Blogger james said...

i do in fact recall your walking troubles, natalie. i've decided to also attribute it to the altitude and the oxygen depleted air. yeah that's it. i went a whole week without any problems. i prolly just jinxed myself though :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home