that's our james

Disclaimer: This is my blog. No one else's. This is what I think about stuff. If others think the same thing, it's up to them to express it. The sole purpose of my writings is to keep my friends and family informed. My opinions are just that, opinions so don't get to worked up if something offends you. Thanks.

04 May 2006

Time flies, then flies backward and then forward again…

Number one, hands down favorite (so far), gonna remember this for the rest of my life story.
It turns out that I control time. Did you know that? I had to come all the way to Albania to find out. I’m not sure of the full extent of my powers but I can tell you what happened a few weeks ago when Europe did the whole silly day-light savings thing. Wait. Do I like day light savings? I can never remember.
Let me set the scene. In the living room, hangs a clock. On Sunday evening, Ana, the English speaking daughter, took the clock down and moved it an hour forward. At this point, Gerti, one of the cousins, showed me a map of US cities and the current time in a particular city. Now you see hears the problem. The US does daylight a week later. Can anybody tell me why that is? I tried to explain this to him in my extremely limited Albanian and his extremely limited English. We didn’t get very far so in comes Ana to translate. I tell her we change time next week which she translates. Manushaqe, that’s my host mother by the way, then tells her something which, of course, I didn’t quite catch. Well the meaning was soon revealed because Ana came back into the living room, removed the clock from the wall, and proceeded to move the clock back an hour to the non-daylight, US synchronized time. I was completely floored. I couldn’t believe that changed the clock back to the wrong time just because I said it was done differently in the States. I tried to explain that I was fine with the right time being displayed. In fact I thought it might be useful when trying to tell time. I got no where. Did I mention that Albanians are extremely hospitable? Perhaps you gathered that.
The next Saturday, Ana was home from university for the weekend. Now it was only a day until the States went to observed daylight so I told her it’d be fine to move the clock forward to the correct time. I know, I know. I’m so giving.
I still chuckle when I think of them looking at the wrong time on the clock for week just because I said something about it being done differently.

1 Comments:

At 9:26 AM, Blogger james said...

did you find any for me?
can you believe i am still using the ones from i think two summers ago. and i haven't lost a wallet in ages. maybe im growing responsible. hehe. i assume you're chuckling at that thought too.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home