that's our james

Disclaimer: This is my blog. No one else's. This is what I think about stuff. If others think the same thing, it's up to them to express it. The sole purpose of my writings is to keep my friends and family informed. My opinions are just that, opinions so don't get to worked up if something offends you. Thanks.

14 November 2006

Goodbye Black-haired Grandma…

“I’ll behave, if you behave,” that’s what my grandma would always say. Luckily my grandmother rarely behaved so I was free to raise a ruckus if I so desired. In fact she was rather spunky. I don’t think I have ever met someone so feisty, both in the good way and the troublesome way.

My grandmother did not have an easy life. She was a fighter. Her mother died when she was barely a teenager and she took over as caretaker for her 4 siblings. She was practically blind but that never stopped her. She was smart and figured out how to live without sight and without letting most people know.

Living through the depression and raising two daughters while my grandfather fought in World War II, where he was taken as POW, my grandmother learned the value of frugality. However when it was birthday time for one of us grandchildren, she would send $5 to the birthday kid and $1 to each of the other siblings. Generous though she was, she didn’t really keep up with inflation :)

During the last couple of years I was able to grow even closer to my grandmother. I will cherish those memories forever. She is an inspiration to me and I miss her dearly.

Fortunately I was able to attend her funeral services in Columbus, Ohio. My family was very supportive and everything went well. For the viewing there was a picture of her wearing her grey Ball State sweatshirt. I love that picture.

Goodbye Grandma, I love you

1 Comments:

At 2:28 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a great tribute to your grandma. I'll share it with mother. It will make her smile.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home