that's our james

Disclaimer: This is my blog. No one else's. This is what I think about stuff. If others think the same thing, it's up to them to express it. The sole purpose of my writings is to keep my friends and family informed. My opinions are just that, opinions so don't get to worked up if something offends you. Thanks.

22 September 2006

Guide to Turkish toilets…


As I have mentioned before, one of the differences between life in America and life in Albania is the presence of Turkish toilets. A Turkish toilet is a bit of mystery to me. From what I can tell, it consists of basin set into the floor with a large whole offset from the center of the basin. In the whole one can see standing water beyond which I am guessing is a great abyss that I hope to never explore. Usually the basin has a slotted area along the side or toward the front (see picture). These areas are, I believe, where your feet are suppose to be. For you see, a Turkish toilet, being basically just a whole in the floor is lacking a “seat.” Therefore the user must provide his or her own seat by simply working those leg muscles and squatting. The technique regarding positioning and other elements are varied and dependent upon concerns I would rather not discuss. If you really want to know just ask and I can provide you with complete instructions.


Step One: Taking Care of Business
Approach the toilet with caution because it can be a crafty and vile creature. Once the environment is deemed safe, place feet on said rest with your back facing the wall/whole. Lower yourself into a squatting position and then do your thing.

Step Two: Paper and Plastic
As for personal cleaning, you have two options. You can choose to clean yourself with a pitcher of water. If several splashes of water don’t quite do the trick, other devices may be utilized. I believe the primary tool is the hand as I have noticed a lack of toilet paper in almost all cafés and some private residences. This brings us to your other option, good ol’ TP. However I must caution you that the toilet paper can not be placed in the Turkish toilet as it will clog. As on volunteer learned after living in his new apartment. The other residents came knocking on his door informing him that their toilets were backing up. He is now known as the guy the clog all the toilets in the building. Great first impression I’d say. Since the toilet itself is not a disposal option, you will find a small trash can with lid of some form for discarding of tissue.


Step Three: Clean Up Aisle Two
Last but definitely not the least significant is the “flushing” of the Turkish toilet. Since a tank holding an adequate amount of water to remove certain undesirables is not part of the composition of a Turkish toilet, flushing falls short of its full potential. Usually a pitcher of water is used to clean the basin and to add more water to the dark whole. I am not sure of the protocol for the amount of water to use and the exact goals. You see, I have developed my own flushing technique. I am fortunate in that my Turkish toilet has a large area. The secret though is a plunger. You place the plunger over the whole and form a seal by pressing down. Next you take a large bucket of water and while holding the plunger with one hand and dumping the bucket with the other, you fill the basin with water. Quickly remove the plunger and the water rush down the whole thus flushing the contents of the whole/pipe out to sewer land. In my case that’s the river but I’ll save that for later.

1 Comments:

At 7:31 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

As I mentioned before, this all just payback for your "good years". When you return home you will absolved of this wretched payback, since your thigh busting sacrifice is deemed worthy. Probably :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home