that's our james

Disclaimer: This is my blog. No one else's. This is what I think about stuff. If others think the same thing, it's up to them to express it. The sole purpose of my writings is to keep my friends and family informed. My opinions are just that, opinions so don't get to worked up if something offends you. Thanks.

18 May 2006

The perfect plan…

Sometimes things just work out. I like those times. This last Saturday was a great example. In fact Saturday turned out to be an overall great day.
The day began with tutoring in the main city. Since my trip to Elbasan was for a PC activity, they paid. Aw yeah. The trip only costs $3 round trip but like I’ve said, I’m cheap to begin with and not having income doesn’t help to loosen my purse strings (and no I do not carry a purse, it’s an expression, thanks b).
The tutoring went well and afterward my teacher went with Juliet and me to the “supermarket.” After a supposedly short walk to the supermarket, I was pleasantly surprised by the selection. As the store came into sight, the first think I noticed was a small parking lot. “Yeah, so. What’s the big deal,” you might say. Well, let me tell you. You see, no one has parking spaces for their businesses. I’m not talking in the downtown or historic areas, it seems to be lacking everywhere even though there are many many cars here. I discovered the next little surprise when I walked through the automatic doors and my instincts kicked in as I by-passed the shopping cart in favor of one of the small plastic baskets. In case you aren’t gettin’ it, it’s like I was in an American grocery store. It had multiple aisles. I could choose from a variety of cereals and there were even a few short aisles dedicated to HBC (that’s healthy and beauty for those of you not in the grocery business). It was in this section that I almost ran into a little trouble. Well not trouble so much as potentially embarrassing. I was comparing two packets of hand wipes. My teacher who was still with us giggled and turned to the other teacher with us who then told me that those “hand wipes” were only for women  Now how funny would have that been if I had bought them and then used them out in public or offered them to some Albanian woman who knew what they were. Do you think she would use them, laugh, or tell me what I had done? At any rate it would have been comical.
After our supermarket sweep (why was that show so good?), we decided to have coffee at the rooftop café of the tallest building in town. Now I’m not complaining but it does strike me as odd that I am in the PC and enjoying a cool, refreshing drink and a gorgeous view of the surrounding city and mountains from my 13 storey vantage point. Granted my view of trash everywhere and buildings seemingly in great disrepair didn’t let me get too carried away.
During my relaxing, yet productive day, I got a text message that my host uncle would meet us in front of the stadium at 4:00. Perfect! He’ll get us in, get us great seats, and we can ride home with him. We were quite relieved because we wanted to go to the match because transportation is always a little tricky starting at 4:00. With the details worked out, we head off to see the last match of the season and the ceremony since Elbasan had won the national league. Juliet especially excited to go since, for the special occasion, other women would be in attendance.
Well we wait for my uncle and he’s a no-show. While we are waiting though some guy comes up to us and just gives us two tickets to match for free. While we waited a bit longer for my uncle, a lady with no teeth and dressed in flowing fabrics trimmed in sequence randomly gave Juliet a fragrant pink rose. We find our section easily and decide to just risk the transportation thing. Within 10 minutes, I hear someone calling my name. I am getting really used to this by the way but I was very happy to turn and see a guy I knew from city hall. Score! He’ll help us get back to Peqin. All is well. Ten minutes later, someone else gets our attention. It’s Liu! If you’ll recall, he’s our furgon driver (the one that took on our little of the neighboring city). He somehow had two seats for us, which means he made somebody move for us. Once we saw Liu we knew we were in the clear. He himself would take us home. Problem solved.
I never did meet up with my uncle. I guess there goes my perfect plan.
Good night.

1 Comments:

At 8:00 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

I think it would be best if you stayed out the "HBC" area, anyway Brother :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home