that's our james

Disclaimer: This is my blog. No one else's. This is what I think about stuff. If others think the same thing, it's up to them to express it. The sole purpose of my writings is to keep my friends and family informed. My opinions are just that, opinions so don't get to worked up if something offends you. Thanks.

09 June 2006

I see London, I see France…



So what do you think of my view? You can kinda make out one of the towers of the castle/fortress on top of the hill on the right. In the middle photo is the neighborhood that is built into the side of the hill with all the houses painted white and row after row of windows. Berat is often called the city of 1000 windows. And soon Jamesville, Albania.

Not only did I score a great city for site placement and a great view, I also have my own house. Yep. That’s right. I will live in a two bedroom house. Hecks yeah. My host family will live right next door. I will eat dinner with them when I want and I can sit with the grandma next to the little shop she runs. I also have a washer specifically for me (which does mean that I will now be doing my own laundry ). The only downside to my new arrangement is that I have a Turkish toilet. I will go into more details later if you want.

During the week I was in Berat, I found my way up to the castle three times. Each time I used the back way in so I wouldn’t have to pay. I’m a broke volunteer now. I can’t afford pricey admission tickets (it’s $2 US if you plan on visiting). You see the stone walls? Those were built in the 1300’s or so, using the foundations built by the Romans in 200 A.D. And what I love is that I get to climb all over them. No railings or roped off areas. Though I suppose after we do our job here, they’ll have to be more restrictive but until then I’m gonna enjoy it.
I am really looking forward to just exploring all the twisted alleys and streets, the ancient churches, and the surround country side. Good thing I have two years.

1 Comments:

At 8:27 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Tragic that you do actually have to do your own laundry. I'm just sorry they don't use wasing boards anymore :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home