that's our james

Disclaimer: This is my blog. No one else's. This is what I think about stuff. If others think the same thing, it's up to them to express it. The sole purpose of my writings is to keep my friends and family informed. My opinions are just that, opinions so don't get to worked up if something offends you. Thanks.

28 February 2007

discouraging days in Berat...

I'm a little glum today. I've had quite the roller coaster week, and it's only Wednesday.

I wanted to do a project to create audio tour guides for Berat using mp3 players. Berat does actually get tourists. One of the major issues is a lack of information. Hence a portable, easy-to-use mp3 player with multiple languages would be a great addition. The plan was to work with the Institute of Culture and Monuments, the Bashkia (municipality), and a tourism information office. Not so simple.

After doing some research as to devices, Ray and I settled on one with speakers and a well-known brand. Next question, where's the money? I decided to apply for a grant through the Peace Corps. The only catch is the proposal would be due by March 01. Then the fun started. We thought we could use a tourism office that conveniently just opened. Then I found out that it was a private business. Plan scrapped. The next day I find out that a tourism information office through the Bashkia is opening sometime later this year (after tourist season but we won't get into that, it's still a step in the right direction). Plan resumes, this time with the idea of using the private tourism office/agency until the actual tourism information office opens. We speak with the people involved only to find that due to some mistrust or lack of acknowledgement of previous work one person in particular is not willing to work with the others.
Plan Scrapped.

Argh. I tried. I guess getting different agencies to work together really is an accomplishment here. Man do I have some work ahead. Wish me luck.

1 Comments:

At 2:11 PM, Blogger Ll.T. said...

Is there a website for tourism in Berat, that might be an easier start.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home