that's our james

Disclaimer: This is my blog. No one else's. This is what I think about stuff. If others think the same thing, it's up to them to express it. The sole purpose of my writings is to keep my friends and family informed. My opinions are just that, opinions so don't get to worked up if something offends you. Thanks.

22 June 2007

Meet & Greet...

A big part of being in the Peace Corps and especially in Albania is the the people. While Mona was here I took her around Berat for many, many visits. We were able to meet most of the people I see regularly. Originally, we were going to be in Berat for only a few days. However, I had to stay for a training for a tourism survey project. I wasn't too thrilled to be organizing a training instead of chillin' at the beach but it worked out well.
All my friends enjoyed meeting Mona. While visiting with Katie's host family (check Mona's blog for a picture), Esti commented that it was very special for them to be able to meet the people in our lives that they have heard so much about. They all said how happy I looked now that Mona was visiting. They also insisted on calling her either my fiance, bride, or wife. They don't really have a good word for girlfriend. When asked about our future plans, you know, wedding and kids, I replied, "avosh, avosh" which means "slowly" or "easy does it."
Mona also got to meet several of my Peace Corps friends during the Midwest Mixer, including Katie's family who were visiting from Minnesota (Minnesota and Indiana, hence the Midwest name). David and his family who are part Midwestern joined in the festivities. They were in Michigan last so that counts, plus they've hung out in Fishers and shopped at Trader Joe's on 82nd Street and gone to that Chuck E. Cheese. All of which I too have done.
One of the goals of Peace Corps is to show other cultures the many different part of American culture, not just the stuff from movies and music. Another goal is to teach Americans about other cultures after we return. Mona did an excellent job as a part-time Volunteer. They miss her already and ask about her every day.


Berat Host Family Mona, Lida (my tutor), James
Albanian friends at Midwest Mixer 2007, Emiljano (my supervisor) & Axhem are my office mates, Mirela (my counterpart) is playing with her son

1 Comments:

At 9:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I told Terralyn about that and that you used "avosh" a lot. Funny. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home