that's our james

Disclaimer: This is my blog. No one else's. This is what I think about stuff. If others think the same thing, it's up to them to express it. The sole purpose of my writings is to keep my friends and family informed. My opinions are just that, opinions so don't get to worked up if something offends you. Thanks.

16 March 2007

new news...

Let's see. What's been going on in my neck of the woods?

I've been busy and the weather has been good. My initial projects have yet to work out but I am now helping with the organization and implementation of English Week at Katie's School.

Katie is in DC right now for medical reasons. Though treatable, the time needed is a bit of an issue. Please keep her in your thoughts and pray for a speedy treatment and recovery. I am sure she would appreciate. As would I, her friends, her co-workers, her Albanian friends, and all the people she comes into contact regularly in Berat.

A new hobby is filling my evenings. Mona and I will be travelling around in the month of June. We plan to hit up Albania (of course), Dubrovnik, Zagreb (due to transportation routes), Ljubljana, and whatever else we can squeeze in. I have been reading my freshly delivered, by Evan, Lonely Planet Guide to the Western Balkans. Trying to figure out where to go, when to go, where to sleep, and how to get there is quite a chore. But I am loving every minute of it.
It's funny to read about Albania in guide books. I especially love the mistakes. Included are two words for greetings that I have never heard of. Lonely Planet did get most of it right though. The book recommends Tirana and Berat as the key places to see. I must say that I thoroughly agree. Oddly enough there was no mention of having coffee with James, the American. He can be found hanging out at the Bashkia in Berat. A simple oversight I am sure.

In anticipation of the coming summer social season, I bought a dart board the other day. It was relatively cheap, around $12. I was doubting its quality but so far I am pleased, though I have yet to hang it at the end of my lengthy corridor. That's this weekend's project.

Oh, and my tummy troubles are improved now. I still have a week's worth of medication to take. I am almost used to having to take a pill four times a day. I hope this treatment sticks.

The sun is shining and I need some caffine. I am going for a coffee.

Speaking of coffee. Please recall the waiter/cafe owner who has no butt. Again Axhem and I were having coffee at his establisment. Axhem asked him if he knew how to say gezuar (cheers) in English. He thought for a moment, turned to me and said, I Love You. I just laughed. When I translated, all laughed. Next time you want to say cheers, just turn to the person next to you and say, "I love you."

1 Comments:

At 1:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I found my book!! I was reading it last night and laughing out loud at myself trying to say common phrases in Slovenian. Na zdravje!! I'll be using that one a lot.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home