that's our james

Disclaimer: This is my blog. No one else's. This is what I think about stuff. If others think the same thing, it's up to them to express it. The sole purpose of my writings is to keep my friends and family informed. My opinions are just that, opinions so don't get to worked up if something offends you. Thanks.

20 June 2006

You can call me Mr. Hollywood…

Ok. Maybe not Mr. Hollywood but I was on TV. Actually I’ve been on TV twice now since being in Albania. The first was for the local news/station here in Berat. We did a little march down Main Street with posters to raise public awareness about the environment. My poster read something like The Osum River is not a public toilet! How awesome is that. My counter-part organized the whole thing so I got to pick out which sign I carried. I think I chose well.
Don’t worry mom, my appearance on the national news was a little more respectable. The President of Albania and U.S. Ambassador spoke at our Swearing-in Ceremony. As the President was leaving the stage, he shook the hands of the people in the front row. Luckily I was in the front row and the last one he greeted. Though I am sure my Hollywood good looks helped me land on TV but it might have something to do with the orange dress shirt and tie combo. Those Albanians love their bright colors. In fact they think that we dress is too serious or boring. We’re not flashy enough.
I stand by my previous idea that training was like university. After the ceremony, everyone was crazy with the camera. We were all a little sad because we were leaving each other and heading to our permanent sites and to our jobs. It was like we were heading into the “real world.” Yeah, the real world in cities and towns throughout Albania, does that count?

2 Comments:

At 10:42 AM, Blogger james said...

I know. The whole training part felt just like college again. Weird. What's weirder is that it felt very natural. Now I'm saying I should become a professional student, but...

 
At 6:14 AM, Blogger Eidolon said...

WHOA! "More respectable" than what? A gay activist in the state capitol building? What are you trying to say James?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home