that's our james

Disclaimer: This is my blog. No one else's. This is what I think about stuff. If others think the same thing, it's up to them to express it. The sole purpose of my writings is to keep my friends and family informed. My opinions are just that, opinions so don't get to worked up if something offends you. Thanks.

22 June 2006

It’s getting hot in here…

Man is it hot. I just arrived at work and I am sweating. Note to self: must remember to wear deodorant (don’t worry, many ppl here don’t) and apparently these pants aren’t “breathable.” It’s been over 20 minutes and I have finally stopped sweating. Honest I don’t mind the heat but it’s been a while. I’ve forgotten all the little tricks. I guess I better learn fast, especially since it’s only June and the really hot months are July and August. I’ve still got another 10 degrees of heat coming.
The first test of sleeping with windows and doors open was a success. I don’t think there’s a huge problem with mosquitoes in my area. I hear the mosquitoes are bad along parts of the coast but I don’t have to worry about that till next weekend when I hope to make my first visit to the sun and sand.
Another tidbit about the heat, I have exactly 5 short sleeve shirts that I can wear to work. Good thing I only “work” 5 days a week. Yesterday I made the mistake of not having my short sleeve shirts ironed so I wore a long sleeve dress shirt. Mang was I hot. Yes I do mean HOT in both ways.
Oh and on the note of ironing, I had a little funny ironing last evening. Now that I am living the life of single man, I must do my ironing myself. I accept that fact that I have to iron almost everything I wear, except socks and undies of course though that is not an uncommon practice here. I would just throw my wrinkle-free shirts in the dryer but I don’t have one. In fact they do not exist in this country. I can’t even utilize my laundry trick of drying the cloths for 10 minutes or so and the line drying everything to prevent wrinkles. So I have to suck it up and do some ironing.
I have an iron in my house but no ironing board. I went to the courtyard with my bundle of clothes-to-be-ironed in hand and that’s when the fun started. Grandma saw me and told me that I could do them in my house on the table with a cloth underneath since I had and iron there already. I tried to explain that I knew this but preferred to use an actual ironing board. She then enlisted the help of the son who took me upstairs to show me exactly what she meant. After he showed me, I told him that I knew how to do it but preferred an actual ironing board because it’s easier than a table and towel combo. He understood and agreed so back down the stairs we went to go his house. Luckily grandma was busy so she didn’t see us pass again. We walk into his house and the mother begins the same exact thing. After me telling her that I knew that I could just use a table and the son explaining that I really did know how to do that, I conveyed the idea that I just wanted to borrow the ironing board. Now I still had my clothes in hand so the son had to carry the ironing board back to my house. And finally I had everything I needed to begin the fun of ironing; one pair of pants, one dress shirt, and four t-shirts (how much do I love the fact that I have to iron my T-SHIRTS!) I guess buying an ironing board is now on my household needs list.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home